Roller Coaster "Lingo"

What's A Dive Roll? What's the difference between a Stand Up and Floorless Coaster? When reading traditional Theme Park Websites, the writer will sometimes use different words and terms that you may be unfamiliar with. Below, in plain English, are the definition to those confusing terms!

Anytime a rider goes upside down.

A type of ride where coaster cars are suspended below the track.

Sit-Down Coaster
The "classic" coaster where riders sit down in coaster car.

Floorless Coaster
A type of coaster where riders are seated with their legs dangling above the track with no floor in the train.

Hybrid Coaster
A type of coaster where steel track is supported by a wooden structure, allowing for unique maneuvers and track elements.

4D Coaster
A type of coaster where the track contains four individual rails, allowing two rails to guide the train and a special rail on each side of the track that controls the 360 degree rotation of each ride car.

Flying Coaster
A type of coaster where riders are seated like a regular inverted coaster, and then are rotated and hung below the track facing down in a "flying" position.

Spinning Coaster
A type of coaster where the rider's car spins 360 degrees.

Vertical Loop
A classic element where riders go upside down in a full 360 degree loop.

Zero G Roll
An element where the track twists riders 360 degrees with "Zero G's".

Cobra Roll
A double-inversion element where riders turn upside down and them again. The element gets its name due to the track formation of a "Cobra Head".

An element, also known as a "flat spin", where riders go upside down. Think of it as a regular vertical loop with the beginning and ending points separated out in a vertical straight line.

Non-Inverting Loop
An element that appears as a traditional vertical loop, but twists 90 degrees upright so riders are never fully upside-down.

Wing-Over Drop
Found on Wing Coasters, riders are turned 180 degrees to a fully inverted position and are suspended upside-down as the coaster track forms a "C" shaped drop.